First, I have to tell you I’ve been up since 4:30. I was scrolling through my Facebook feed while nursing A and a local friend shared that she had “roof rats”. Apparently they are ROUSes and they race around all night in the roof to escape from the cold and then they will get into your house and eat your kid’s faces. I just feel them out there, casing this joint, ready to pounce, and if this happens? OHMYGODYOUGUYSIAMGOINGTODIE.
I just needed to get that off of my brain.
Now! I wanted to talk about podcasts.
I LOVE a good podcast. What about you? I enjoy listening to music, but I always love a good program (or audio book) while I’m in the car or cleaning the house. When H was a wee babe, I could totally get away with any book-on-CD my heart desired. Now he is demanding to listen to Gotye or Imagine Dragons or asking every three seconds “What’s she saying, Mommy?” Naturally, my podcast time is a bit limited (and swear-word free), but I still rock them when I can. Some of my favorites:
- Stuff You Missed in History Class. I love history. I once met Doris Kearns Goodwin in Chicago after seeing her at a conference in Pennsylvania and told her I was her “groupie”. I dream of a world where I have time to read this new Mao bio, but it is just not realistic at this stage in life. Taking your history lessons in 20 -40 minutes doses? Yes please.
- WMMR’s Preston and Steve. Local Philly morning radio show. I’ve listened to these guys for ten years, so I love this podcast. None of the commercials, all of the Philly-area goodness that makes me feel close to home. I even love listening to traffic reports. I miss you, I-76.
- Kicking and Screaming. I have had a girl crush on Jenna Elfman since 2000 when I saw her in Keeping the Faith (greatest movie ever, btw). She and husband Bodhi Elfman discuss marriage in this new-ish offering. Good for a laugh on a jog through the neighborhood (not safe for the kiddos).
- Grammar Girl. For the grammar-lovin’ nerd in you.
- NPR. Because all things NPR are awesome. I’m a wee bit obsessed: I love Diane Rehm, All Things Considered, Fresh Air, even CAR TALK. No seriously: Car Talk. Two Boston-area dudes take your car questions, and simultaneously make you smile. It is no small thing that J – a supreme lover of music – came home yesterday and said: Did you hear that piece on NPR this morning about how eastern and western cultures view learning? It makes my heart burst when I get into his SUV and hear that he’s been listening. It’s just that good, you guys.
I’ve also started downloading Jillian Michaels’s podcast, but I’m still mulling that one over. I do appreciate a good health and happiness discussion, but at times I am hitting fast-forward waiting for JM to get to the point already.
What about you all? When you get into the car, what do you listen to?